Friday, April 30, 2010

My top 10 ways to kill time...

Alright... as an outcome of months of joblessness and my hobby of passive researching I've come up with top 10 (and some unconventional) ways you can kill time. The list goes as follows:
1. Chatting with a random person (chick) on chat-avenue.com: This is a simple, but coolest site I've ever come across. This site has several rooms depending on your interest and age group e.g. College Chat, Adult Chat, Teen's Chat, Gay chat, General chat etc.
But here's a fact: regardless of the type or title of the chat room, the rooms are almost always haunted by perverts who're not meant to be there in the first place. Age group of perverts is quite broad. My study shows that they range from 16 to 45 years. Room also has real girls and moderators to keep a watch on spam and sexual abuse, or sexual remarks and all those sexual things which keeps the room interesting. However, I think sex chat is acceptable in the private messaging... whatever.
Girls' age group is also diverse and range from 16 to 38. I, being a pro user of the site, have experienced that, most of the girls who reply to your private messages and gets on into a long conversation with you are fat and not-so-attractive types.
Although the user interface of the site sucks, I give five stars to people responsible for keeping it clean and bot free.
2. Switching between Facebook and Orkut: These two are probably the most popular sites among youth. Orkut, for Indians in particular used to be favorite time killing place so long it was hot. Now everyone's apparently moving to facebook, but whatever, they both serve the same purpose : killing time... and they serve it very well
3. Installing a virus program on your computer and trying to clean your computer manually: I bet this is the most innovative idea to kill time so far. Although, it can be somewhat dangerous at times, the trick is to keep a ghost image of your system before infecting it with a virus
4. Googling yourself : This is one of my favorites. I've talked a lot about it previously... in short, it can get pretty interesting at times.
5. Craig's list: This site has some pretty interesting stuff too. You can browse all day looking for great deals on used phones to used cars. I've seen people selling sex toys too, but apparently they were unaware what they were selling. One of them thought that it's just a toy and not a sex toy.
6. Applying for jobs: As a popular saying goes among students here: "searching for a job, is a full time job by itself". True, very true. My favorite part is to keep track of what's happening with my resume. Some sites like careerbuilder, dice, linkedIn provide statistics on how many times you appeared in a search result, how many times was your profile actually seen etc. Making small changes to profile and seeing how it affects the traffic you are attracting, can get interesting at times too.
7. Blogging: This is something you can kill a lot of time with (e.g. by writing a nonsense article like this), if you have some liking for writing or just copying stuff from here and there. Personally, I think blogging demands too much in return. That is, you have to think before you post stuff, which is boring, but still, a way to kill time !!
8. Online Window shopping: I don't think, I need to write much about it. I guess most of us do it every now and then. I keep browsing for clothes on aeropostale.com or holister sites and buy nothing...
9. Pretending to learn an instrument: This is simple. You buy an instrument (e.g. guitar in my case), go on youtube or something to find the tutorials. Try playing for 2-3 days, give up for a week and start again. And do all of this again and again. Because of my love for music, I learnt quite a bit of guitar be teaching myself. It's sometimes productive time killing tactic sometimes aka a hobby.
10. Download e-books and video tutorials and never read them: It's one of the best ways you can keep fooling yourself that you are doing something productive and at the same time keep killing time. You download e-books/video tutorials illegally from torrents. Store them in a safe location in your computer and keep that location untouched until your hard disk gets full with other stuff. When you feel like making room, you can always shift+delete this folder with a guilt for the wasted time and a fake condolence that if it's available online, you can always download it.

References: My talks with my roomies about how to kill time online.... specially on chat sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment